First Visit to the Edinburgh Festival?18th July 2018
Here come the festivals! International, Fringe, Jazz and Blues, Art, Book and Tattoo. Welcome to the whirlwind of culture that is Edinburgh in summer.
Over 3.5 million people now attend the Edinburgh Festival each summer. And there are thousands of shows and special events to choose from. So, if this is your first visit to the Edinburgh Festival, here are our five top tips to surviving the crowds and getting the most out of your trip.
Edinburgh Festival: Our Local Tips
- Although collectively known as the Edinburgh Festival, there are actually six main festivals taking place over the summer. From the International Festival where you can witness the very finest arts performances, to the Festival Fringe where pretty much anything goes! There's also the Jazz and Blues Festival, Art Festival, Book Festival and Royal Military Tattoo. Make sure you look at the programmes for each of them when planning which shows and events to see.
- Plan ahead by checking out the festival programmes in advance and pre-ordering tickets. The largest programme is the Festival Fringe, with over 3,000 shows to choose from. To help you navigate through them, you can download the official Fringe App. It's the easiest way to see what's on, plan your days and book tickets. Remember, there are plenty of free shows. In fact, there's an entire Free Festival programme to explore.
- Take a wander down the Royal Mile. It's a visual explosion with crowds of people, street performances, huge banners and people handing out flyers trying to tempt you into their shows.
- Have an open mind. The real joy of the festival is the total mix of what's on. The random, the weird and the wonderful. So don't just stick to your old favourite acts, take a chance on something new and different. You never know what you might discover!
- It may be summer, but it's also Edinburgh. Although it's usually warm in July and August, with average temperatures ranging between 10 and 19°C, we still get plenty of showers. So don't forget your umbrella.
Accommodation for Your First Visit to the Edinburgh Festival
Holiday accommodation in Edinburgh books up fast for July and August, so book yours as early as possible to avoid disappointment. Here at Lets Get Local, we have a fantastic range of self-catering festival accommodation. Browse our city centre properties and please contact us if you need any help or advice.